Tuesday, May 26, 2009

reading the kitchen and garden

Today I went into work, briefly, to discuss my return from leave. (I've been off for 3 months - it's been fantastic.) Afterwards I trotted over to Kinokuniya for a browse and found some rather interesting eating and gardening books:

A History of Kitchen Gardening - Susan Campbell
The title is slightly deceptive, it seems to be a history of one kitchen garden in the south of England. It's got some lovely drawings and diagrams and lots of detail about the mechanisms of growing food for a large house. I thought about getting it for Mum for Christmas but she's more into story ... I'll keep it in mind though.

Edible Estates: Attack on the Front Lawn - Fritz Haeg
This looked cool but the copy in Kinokuniya was wrapped in plastic so I couldn't check out the contents. The basic premise is making vegetable gardens out the front of houses instead of lawn. Super!

A Tale of 12 Kitchens: Family Cooking in Four Countries - Jake Tilson
Another groovy book (on sale now at Amazon!) it attracted me because it seemed to be talking about why we eat/cook what we eat/cook where. Thinking about who has influenced what we eat. I might buy it if I can remember my Amazon log in.

Cook Your Own Veg - Carol Klein
This book is the sort of thing I want to do - recipes organised by season made from things you've grown in your own garden. It's English so the summer section is full and winter pretty empty - lovely photos.

I didn't buy anything, but it was fun to check what's out there.

No comments: